Wednesday, April 21, 2010

World's Biggest Bookstore

I recently returned from Toronto, where Edge Science Fiction and Fantasy publishing held the Canadian launch of the anthology Evolve at the World's Biggest Bookstore.

I showed up early, not knowing how long it would take me to get there from my hotel, and I wanted time to look around the World's Biggest Bookstore. As you might expect, it's HUGE! I arrived about an hour early, and there were already people seated in chairs..a lot of people. I asked one of the ladies working if that was for the Evolve launch. She said, yes, they want to be sure to get a seat. I expressed my surprise, and she said, "Well, they're mostly here to see Kelley Armstrong." I laughed and replied, "That's okay, I am too."

They had to bring out more chairs, and by the time we started, there were people standing all around the outer area as well. Each of us stood and introduced ourselves and some of us read. I read the first page and a half of my story and was thrilled to have a couple of people come through the signing line and say they couldn't wait to read the rest.

It was a fantastic experience, and I'm so glad I made the trip across the country to attend!

Here's a picture of the outside of the store:



All of us authors, lined up and ready to sign copies of Evolve!



A shot of part of the crowd, taken by publisher Brian Hades



Me, intently listening to Kelley Armstrong at the podium. :)



Taking my turn at the podium to speak and read:








0 comments: